This 1848 sofa at Campbell House was owned by the Sloans, who built Campbell House in 1845.
Rockbridge Circuit Court Clerk’s Desk. This wonderful mid-nineteenth century desk is now on display in the Society’s Campbell House Museum, courtesy of Washington and Lee University. The clerk of the Rockbridge Circuit Court used this wonderful mid-nineteenth century desk (circa 1858) for decades in the predecessor of the present 1896 courthouse on Main Street. It was unveiled at the Society’s 70th Anniversary Dinner, and opened after a lapse of over a century to reveal two judge’s decrees dated 1870 and 1873. This beautiful and important artifact is worth a special trip.
Borden Grant – Another recent acquisition, and a prized piece in the Society’s collection, is the original deed from Benjamin Borden to the McCown family in 1750.
Civil War photographs – An unusual collection of Civil War photographs was donated to the Society by the Paxton family of Lexington. Included are cartes de visite and cased photographs of Generals Robert E. Lee, Pierre G. T. Beauregard, J.E.B. Stuart, and Frank Paxton. They are preserved in the Society’s archive in Washington and Lee Library’s Special Collections Department.